Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Of Lemonade, Funnel cakes and Kites


Hello Dear Readers, thank you for reading and coming back to my blog. So this rather long sabbatical was to really reflect and define an identity of/for my blog.... What seemed at the time an effort worth pursuing, I realized the themes of my life crystallized naturally into love of travel and food and therefore will pour itself into the identity of my blog. So no big effort there…

From the grandiose trips to the seemingly innocuous ones all of them pregnant with gems of experience, lessons in life, love and the palate, just revealing itself little by little.

And Dear reader , I am simply sharing tidbits as I traverse life in this overwhelming digital Serengeti of social media, Netflix, Facebook and the likes. I am exceedingly thankful for these experiences life throws my way.

The summer has been slipping away. Seismic changes in the lives of our family this year propelled us to take a hold of life and live it like never before. For who knows what tomorrow brings...

 And we sought out our therapy in the miles of immaculately clean beaches of ocean city, Maryland.

Amongst the many travels across beaches of the world, this little treasure holds a special place in my heart. It is relaxation at its finest …

 Amongst the many things that makes ocean city standout is its startling display and show of kites. It is sure to dazzle you. As you walk the 3 mile boardwalk, you are literally under the shadows of huge kites flying right on the beach. These kites are from the kite loft. The Kite Loft was founded by Bill "King of the Wind" Ochse, who by his sheer energy and natural charisma managed to elevate Ocean City to it.

Entry into the Kite Loft store transports you to a world of brilliant colors, spinning windsocks, flying toys, whizzing rubber bands, floating kinetics, tinkling wind chimes, sky chairs, wind wheels and, of course, lots of kites.
No trip to ocean city would be complete without a visit to the kite loft.

I can confess to having looked at the very creative pieces and thought of perhaps this being life's purpose for the kite builders. So much of thought and energy poured into each had to amount to something substantial....no? Don’t we all tread that road consciously or inadvertently? Find or meet our purpose across the spectrum of activities and events, be it through kids, our social lives, travels, culinary experiences and so on…

Here are but a few pictures of the kites strewn all over the beach and boardwalk...I must make a mention of the kite friendly winds that blow through the beach and make it conducive for all things kites. So do bring a kite with you on your trip to Ocean City.








Talking of culinary experiences ,in the few times I've been to Ocean City I realized I didn’t  need to "really" pack for for dinnertime dressing,  a casual atmosphere prevails. As one might expect, seafood is the top draw, and in this part of the country, blue crabs rule. I Order ed mine in meaty cakes as well as steamed in spices and tackled with mallet and knife. The local blues are ornery sorts in the water, but ever so sweet fried in batter and plated up with sides of slaw and fries. It is a must do in Ocean city!

Classic salt-water taffy is yet another seaside staple. And how can I forget the ever green, always in demand, and always eaten with a pang of guilt funnel cakes .Crisp, delicious warm funnel cakes with soft powdered sugar simply makes my heart sing..I always eat mine at the end of the day so I no longer need to account for the calorific deficit I’ve created when it’s just only afternoon and I still have dinner to account for. So much for life’s experiences and accounting for them!

Amongst the many jewelry shops strewn all over the boardwalk, I realized Ocean City is a ‘boutique’, a “showcase” if you will for jewelry makers. Besides  the beautiful silver jewelry I picked up, I found unique pieces created in mother of pearl and turquoise by jewelry artists from as far as California and New Mexico on display for “a limited time”. It is something to keep in mind if you are a jewelry aficionado and happen to visit Ocean City. You are sure to find and keep one of a kind piece. I certainly have...

As the curtain falls down on summer, and the taste of the last lemonade, the fried Oreos and pickles, the funnel cakes and crabs lingers just fleetingly, I send a silent prayer of thanks to heaven for nurturing my family, keeping them healthy and happy, capable of enjoying these little bursts of experiences.

For now, I think we can all move on to more pressing matters in the world …

So long.

2 comments: