Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Kimchi - The probiotic superstar !


I've been on the lookout for incorporating a little more diversity into my diet with the focus of course on good health and not to forget my insatiable , forever in need of something new taste buds . While eating out at Korean places, I did find little bowls of Kimchi make its way to our tables ahead of our food, mainly as a fork or chopstick worthy appetizer.

Needless to say my first taste of it and I was hooked. It was bursting with flavors that my mind couldn't describe in full - garlic, hot chilli peppers, tartness of pickle, the velvety texture of napa cabbage and so on . Pickling is an age old culinary tradition across cultures and countries. We as Indians know so well the breadth of vegetables , even meat and seafood that earn the privilege of pickling - from Mangoes, to onions, garlic, squid, fish and even goat meat ! So here is Kimchi in all its pickled glory - Napa cabbage, scallions or daikon radish. That's what it is.

Eating kimchi regularly may also help reduce your chances of developing certain cancers, such as stomach cancer. It is the cabbage used to make kimchi that gives it the powerful antioxidants and flavonoids known to help prevent cancer. Along with the antioxidants and flavonoids it possesses, cabbage is also a rich source of glucosinolates. Glucosinolates when digested convert into a compound known as isothiocyanate, which is an effective anti-cancer phytochemical found in many cruciferous vegetables..
So its healthful benefits provided me the added impetus of including it in my cooking and here's a few tips I wanted to share with you all. First off lets be clear that it is not an all vegetarian pickled food even though cabbage and at times other vegetables like daikon radish makes its way into a bottle of kimchi. There is a seafood based element called saeujeot, which is Korean salted shrimp , that is ground and included in the pickling process. so most likely the Kimchi you buy at Asian food markets or Asian aisles of stores will contain saeujot in varying quantities. if you don't have a problem with that I would say go for it and buy the kimchi.
However there are vegetarian versions available as well such as ones available:

http://www.milkimchi.com/shop/
 There are some vegetarian only versions available at store such as Whole foods as well.

So here's what I have tried with kimchi :

Fried Rice
Kimchi fried rice - essentially lot of veggies and Tofu if you would like to include that stir fried in atleast half a medium sized jar of kimchi . Throw in some Basil leaves and add your favorite rice, white or brown and you have a delicious hearty side or main dish .
Here's a picture of my kimchi fried rice :



Noodles
Kimchi with plain old maggie noodles or for that matter any kind of noodles. It is a lip smacking treat ! and don't forget to add a bunch of cilantro.. it is an experience of the good and the bold, the soft flavorful cilantro with the bold flavors of garlic, chilli peppers and cabbage. Add the kimchi only once your noodles are done.

Omelettes
Chopped up Kimchi and fold it into your morning omelette

Mashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes - kick them up a notch by folding few tablespooons of kimchi and lemon pepper. serve this as a side with roast or grilled chicken

As I write this my mind is brimming with ideas on how else could I possibly use this probiotics superstar more in my everyday cooking.Quesedillas ? wraps maybe. who knows...
Ideas ? comments always welcome...

until the next time - wish you all good health and happy cooking !

1 comment:

  1. Very well written !
    Now I know why I am getting Khimchi fried rice so often lately :-)

    ReplyDelete